28 August 2007

Schmap!!


Schmap is a company that designs traveler guides. One day I got an email saying that one of my flickr pictures had been nominated for inclusion into the new edition of the Chicago guide. They were asking me permission to make use of the picture. I went to their website and said I would not mind.

This is one of the pictures that was nominated. It was taken during a snowstorm and then digitally turned into a black and white picture.



I do not think too much of the picture above and I am not sure why it was chosen, as it is not representative of the University of Chicago campus.

However, what I like about Schmap is that it is using the huge archive of user generated pictures to make a high quality product. By asking users from the flickr community for their images, Schmap gets images for free and uses the loyal flickr network to build its own community.